Saturday, December 23, 2017

Gingerbread BME


 After reading Paul Galdone's The Gingerbread Boy, I discussed with my first graders the events that happened in the beginning, middle and end of the story. Next I made about 18 word strips of  words from the story I had made using a candy cane font. 

 

Then each child drew a strip, read the word, and told me if it was first found in the beginning, middle, or end of the story.  S/he could also describe to me other places it might have been used in the story.


 Finally, the word strips and the book go in a center. Students read each strip and spell it using alphabet tiles. If they get stuck on a word, they find it in the book and use context to figure it out. They loved this center.



No comments:

Post a Comment