Thursday, July 14, 2016

Happy Birthday to Me

Somehow I have managed to miss out on this book since it was published in 2013.  My sister remedied that by giving it to me for my birthday today.  I am delighted!!!

The vintage illustrations in this book immediately took me back to my childhood and the little collection of Golden Books my brother, sister, and I shared.  The author has selected about 75 illustrations from Little Golden Books published in the 40s-60s.  Each illustration highlights one of the life principles the author features.                                 

With a visit to my childhood through this book, I began to wonder what children’s books were published the year I was born, 1950.  Take a stroll through the bookshelves with me as I mention a few.
 Let me know if you have read some of the following oldies.

Henry Huggins - Beverly Cleary
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - C. S. Lewis






These were published in 1950, but won their awards in 1951:
The Egg Tree - Katherine Milhous - 1951 Caldecott Winner 
If I Ran the Zoo - Dr. Seuss - 1951 Caldecott Honor
Dick Whittington and his Cat - Marcia Brown - Caldecott Honor


These won their awards in 1950, but were published in 1949:

Bartholomew and the Oobleck - Dr. Seuss - 1950 Caldecott Honor
Song of the Swallows - Leo Palitti - 1950 Caldecott Winner
Door in the Wall - Marguerite de Angeli - 1950 Newbery Winner

No comments:

Post a Comment