Sunday, February 1, 2015

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER

Alicia Thompson, you won the book, Mom Made Use Write This in the Summer!!  What a fun read to add to your classroom library!



Wordless Picture Books

I've been grading the wordless book card assignment for the children's literature course I am teaching this semester at Oral Roberts University.  This is such a fun corner of the picture book world.  I have numerous favorites, and there are so many ways to use the them in the classroom.  And not JUST with prek -1st grade students.


Broadly, this genre includes completely wordless and almost wordless books.  Here are a few of my favorites:  Deep in the Forest by Brinton Turkle - a fun twist on the Goldilocks story; Peter Spier's Noah's Ark - a wonderfully detailed account of the flood of Genesis;
 

Tuesday by David Weisner - What an imagination that guy has!  

 

 

 

Alexandra Day created a series of books about the very responsible Rottweiler, Carl,   including Good Dog, Carl 

Emily Arnold McCully's Picnic - the lost is found.  (Click the links to learn a little about these authors.)

 I could go on and on listing wordless books I love.  I would rather hear your picks.  Please leave a comment below listing your favs.

14 comments:

  1. My favorite was Silent Night.
    The story follows a vocal little dog who's desperately trying to alert its owners to a seemingly invisible intruder--a big-bellied guy who just happens to land on the roof in a reindeer-chauffeured sleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite book was Good Dog, Carl.
    The story follows a dog who is "babysitting" a small baby when the child's mother leaves for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite book was "Pancakes for Breakfast" by Tomie DePaola.
    A woman desperately wants to make pancakes but finds that she has to acquire the ingredients before she can. What happens when she finally has all of the ingredients? You better read the book to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite book was "You can't take a balloon into the museum of fine arts"
    A little girl ties her balloon to the railing outside while she goes into the museum, but the strings becomes untied and embarks on a journey all across New York City.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite was "You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum" This book created tons of emotions and lots of words through images. It portrayed a cute little girl ready to have fun at the museum but suddenly to her misfortune she learns that she cannot bring her balloon into the museum. She doesn't want to let it go but she is negotiated into tying it to the railing outside with the kind gentlemen. As soon as he goes to have a conversation he realizes the balloon is gone and is on a long journey to recapture this balloon and return it to the girl safely. I really loved how the scenes of the man in the park running after the balloon assimilated the art the girl was looking at simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved "Anno's Journey." What beautiful pictures! It was fun and engaging to notice all the minute details and see all that was taking place in each picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took lookers on a journey through Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite wordless book was Sector 7.This book is about a young boy who makes friends with this cloud on a class field trip. The cloud takes the boy away to Sector 7, a factory where clouds are made. The boy shows his designs for clouds which everyone loves, expect the workers. At the end of the book, the boy looks up to see his cloud designs in the sky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite wordless book was " Do You Want To Be My Friend."
    This book was about a little mouse who goes around and asks all the other animals if they want to be his friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the book "Ano's Journey." It took the viewer on a journey through different towns in Europe. Each page had incredible detail and hidden pictures that were fun to find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the book "Sidewalk Circus." The vivid pictures made me feel like I was actually at a circus. What a fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you've already picked a winner! My favorite wordless picture book though, as I mentioned in class, was "Flora and the Flamingo". The illustrations were spectacular, my daughter literally wanted to jump into the book! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite was Good Dog Carl. It was just a sweet story and I liked the graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite wordless picture book was Sector 7. I loved the story of the little boy going there on a field trip.
    The pictures were really good and caught my attention!

    ReplyDelete