Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Picture Book Linky Party

Today's linky party is brought to you by Deanne at First Grade and Fabulous.  She's calling for those great picture books that reinforce math concepts.  


The two I am sharing have been around a long time (like I have ). 

Grandfather Tang's Story by Ann Tompert

Grandfather shares a story about two fox fairies and uses a tangram (a square cut into 7 pieces) to illustrate it.  After I've shared the story I put the book and a tangram into a center, where students love to use the tangram to reproduce the pictures and make their own designs.  The book has lovely water color illustrations and clear patterns for the kids to replicate.


The second book I love to use is The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins, a fun predictable story.  My students first cut out a dozen "cookies" to manipulate as I read the story.  With each double-page spread a new visitor shows up, and the cookies have to be redistributed.  It's fun to use with older students as you begin multiplication or division.


Now here's what you do.


1.  Leave a comment for me (and join me on Bloglovin' while you're here).

2.  Then go to your blog and post your favorite mathy picture books.

3.  Link up with Deanne @ First Grade and Fabulous.

I'm anxious to see everyone's suggestions.  


4 comments:

  1. I forgot about the book The Doorbell Rang! That is a good one. Grandfather Tang's Story looks good too!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Doorbell Rang is a great choice! I haven't read Grandfather Tang's Story yet. Can't wait to get to the bookstore. :)

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy,
      I have some transparency tangrams I sometimes use with the story. Kids can partner up to help each other to make the shapes I'm reading about.

      Jill

      Delete
    2. They make the shapes on the overhead projector, that is, while I read the story.

      Delete