Saturday, June 22, 2013

Spark Linky

I'm joining Joanne at Head over Heels for Teaching for her fun linky.  We should get lots of pins from everyone's great ideas!  


Head Over Heels for Teaching

Besides Target, another dangerous place for me to go is Dollar Tree.  I stopped by today and played my favorite game:  What can I find to repurpose for my classroom?  And what, you might ask, did I find today?  Chenille dusters!  OK all you Wagoneers and Wagon Watchers, I'd like to introduce you to the newest members of my classroom, Dusty and Dolly Chenille.


The dusters are removable - you can see the white elastic in the picture above.  I won't want the kids to remove them, though, so I hot glued the elastic to the handle.  I hot glued the wiggle eyes.  It's hard to tell in the picture, but I created a nose (or is it a beak?) on Dusty by gluing some of the strands together.  Dolly got a little glam with some cardstock lashes I curled around a pencil and pouty lips.

My secondies LOVE puppets!  Not only do they play with them, but often write stories and plays about them.  

I only found blue and green dusters today.  Will have to keep my eyes out for more colors as I go to other Dollar Trees.  Of course, there's danger lurking.  It's a distinct possibility that I find more must-haves there.

Oh yes, they have begun putting out a few back-to-school things.  Just had to pick up one of their pocket charts.   It's about 14" x 21" with 1" tall label strips.  I have found so many uses for these about my classroom.



4 comments:

  1. I love the Dollar Tree too for great finds!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolly and Dusty had me in hysterics! Love it! What a cute idea! These will surely motivate your students! :O) Those pocket charts are great for word work!
    Thanks for linking up Jill!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to the dollar trees is dangerous, but that is where I go for items for work tasks. I always end up spending a ton of money. I saw those dusters too, the last time i was there and couldn't think of how to use them besides their original purpose. Your puppets are awesome!!
    I might have to go in again this week if they are putting out their school stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these puppets, Jill!!! I am a Dollar Tree junkie myself, (also love Target's bargain bins!),and I'm always scouting for cool stuff to re-purpose into even cooler stuff - LOL! I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know if I come across dusters in other colors to add to your puppet family. :)

    ReplyDelete