Sunday, June 16, 2013

Monday Memo

One of the good things about summer is the opportunity to slow down long enough to think about and read and plan for improving instruction for the upcoming year.  I've been enjoying the Get Your Math On book study on Building Mathematical Comprehension some of our fellow bloggers are conducting.  It provides a great opportunity for personal thought and dialog.  Be sure to check it out.


I ran across an interesting article just this evening listing 25 ways successful teachers do things differently.  Tomorrow I plan to go back and respond to each point on paper, delineating specifically how I measure up or fall short.  Then I can begin my list of goals for the coming school year (year #43 BTW).  The titles in the sidebar look interesting too, but I'll have to get to them another day.


When I find a thought-provoking article or post, I've learned journaling about it helps me process and personalize the information.  We're lucky to live in an age in which information about teaching and learning is so readily available.  Just reading through it and going on to the next interesting "find" becomes like leaves blowing in the wind.  If it's truly valuable information, it must be valuable to me.  Journaling about it provides me time to truly ponder its importance and relevance to me.


What are you reading and thinking about this summer or plan to if you're still finishing up the school year?  What is your strategy to make it memorable and meaningful to you?  I'd love to read your comments.



4 comments:

  1. I'm reading Whole Brain Teaching for the Challenging Child this summer. I love your idea of journaling and reflecting. With all of the info out there it's easy to read it and forget it.

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Teach Like a Pirate and Word Nerds, and many books for pleasure. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in journaling as well. One of the reasons that I started blogging is that writing about my teaching helps to clarify things for me.
    In addition to Building Mathematical Comprehension, I am also reading Teach Like a Pirate and rereading Guided Math. I'm looking for a book on writing in the primary grades-improving writer's workshop is one of my goals for next year.
    Carol
    Still Teaching After All These Years

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've printed out the article and highlighted some of my favorite statements. Thanks for sharing it. When I read something that I want to return to often, I print it out and post it by my desk. It helps me stay focused on the task...for example, right now I have the "be quick to listen, slow to speak" quote up. I talk too much! LOL :)

    I'm reading And the Mountains Echoed (leisure) and Word Nerds (professional) right now.
    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete