Thursday, May 30, 2013

Wednesday Wonder

Oklahoma University President David L. Boren has throughout his career been a strong supporter of public education.  During his time as Governor of Oklahoma from 1974-1978, he was instrumental in several key educational initiatives from which our state continues to benefit.  In 1985 while he was a U.S. Senator, he  implemented the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence.  Each year it recognizes outstanding public school students and teachers and helps establish private local foundations to help give academic endowment grants to local public schools.


In 2009, 2010, and 2011 I was honored to be a finalist for this prestigious award.  This April when notified I had won this year's Medal for Excellence in Elementary Teaching, I was thrilled!  It has been a week and a half since a very magical night at the awards banquet and ceremony.  I'm still basking in the wonder of it all.


In the top picture below you see on the right Patti Mellow, President of the Foundation, who introduced me.  She has worked with and supported the Foundation since its inception.  I received one of the illuminated glass sculptures you see on either side of me.  It is called "Roots and Wings" and was created by the late  Oklahoman, Ronald T. Roberts.  In the bottom picture you can see the medal given to me.  Such an honor!!


Photos by David Wheelock

   

Click here to view my video.

No comments:

Post a Comment