Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tuesday Thoughts

I ran across this quote by Aristotle today.

The habits we form from childhood make no small difference, but rather they make all the difference.

It brought to mind another quote that reinforces Aristotle's stance.

Train up a child a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  Proverbs 22:6 KJV

These wise words remind us of the huge responsibility we have as early childhood teachers and as parents.  Because we are establishing the foundation of children's futures, we need to regularly take stock of the habits and values we are ingraining in them through our words as well as our deeds.  Much of what children pick up is caught, not taught.  Here are some of the habits I try to reinforce with my second graders.

1. Common courtesy and kindness
2. Organization of their materials
3. Memory strategies
4. Listening with the whole body
5. Prompt obedience
6. Joy in learning
7. Rising to challenges
8. Delight in achieving

Please share habits you strive to develop in your students or your own children.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I am always amazed that some kiddos have no common courtesy. I am the person who lets the kiddos in from the bus. I say "Good Morning" to every single kiddo that walks through the door, and at the very most I have 5-6 kiddos who say good morning back. Most don't even acknowledge my existence! I am working on it with my second graders as well as my own kiddos! Thanks for the reminder!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always warms my heart when my kids pray for someone... I am reminded of our command to train them up! I love the little reminders that they are picking up on what we're trying to teach! Last night, my daughter was crying because her balloon popped, my son-while saying his bedtime prayers- said at the end, "And please help Bella not be sad!" Just a small gesture for him, but it meant the world to me!!

    ReplyDelete