Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday Fingerplay

I have a friend who will be starting an extended sub job in kindergarten next week.   I was trying to think of the fingerplay I used the most when I taught kinder many years ago.  This is what immediately popped into my mind.

Open, shut them.
Open, shut them.
Give a little clap.

Open, shut them.
Open, shut them.
Put them in your lap.

I used this with my firsties and even taught it to my teacher candidates through the years I was at ORU.  I had them chime in with the words and motions when they heard me begin until everyone's attention was on me.  Later, I would mouth the words and do the motions until everyone was with me.  On "those days" when it was a real struggle to grab their attention, I would continue saying it while I stood by the holdouts.  Sometimes I'd change that last line to things, like behind your back, on your head, etc., and do the "Open, shut them" from that spot.

Here's where I need your help, Early Childhood Readers.  Please post one or more of your go-to fingerplays I can share with my friend. 


- * - * - * - * - * - * -

Here's a shout-out to Sarah, my new Wagoneer.  Check out her blog, Using My Teacher Voice.

.


2 comments:

  1. Here is a list of some fun ones from Dr. Jean! Dr. Jean is perfect for songs and finger plays! :)

    http://www.drjean.org/html/monthly_act/act_2010/01_Jan/1books/fingerPlaysBooklet.pdf

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kimberly Ann. Just what the "Dr." ordered.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete