Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday Words

Like rain, into each life a little discipline must fall.  Some children have more of those discipline "showers" than others. 

As the school year advances, it can become difficult to deal patiently with the high-maintenance children in your class.  Sometimes it feels like you are spending more time on discipline issues than on instruction.  You feel frustrated because you can see what the child is capable of, but doesn't succeed at, due to his or her acting out.  You also feel sorry for those children who do follow directions, do their work and don't get in trouble.  They have to endure interruptions in their learning caused by behavior situations of other children.

Do I have the answers for all these problem behaviors?  No.  However, I try to maintain a professional attitude about these target children.  Just as my heavenly Father forgives me, I owe it to my students to forgive their discretion's.  Even when a child has been Stinker Supreme the day before, I start the day with their slate clean, a smile and a warm greeting.  I want to give them the daily opportunity to succeed.

Solomon told us in Lamentations 3:23, "His mercies begin afresh each morning."  How can we teachers do any less?

3 comments:

  1. So true and encouraging to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Jill! Your students are so blessed to have you as a teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Becky. I'm blessed time 22 every day! BTW welcome aboard this little red wagon.

    ReplyDelete