Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Meanderings

The first day of school is exciting, scary, unnerving, happy, or all of the above for our students.   Sometimes for us teachers too. 

Today I read the book, First Day Jitters, to my class.  The main character struggles with not wanting to go to school.  The ending is a big surprise, and my students had to hear it twice to catch it.  Following that I had them relate to the book by drawing and writing about their back-to-school jitters.  Here are some of their responses--in their own spellings with translations as needed.

No wuns wust goeg to liks my    (No one was going to like me.)
I was skard that I wode not no my techer and I wode not no pepul ther and their were cids evrewar!
I was nrnse that the wrk ws ing to be hrd     (I was nervous that the work was going to be hard.)
I had jitters that I hasn't (wasn't) going to see ine (any) of my frins
I was scard of not being with my frinds.
I was hape (happy) to go to sakit (second) grade

Children's fears about beginning school are real.  It's important that we teachers plan that first day full of encouragement and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment